Pages

Thursday, 26 March 2015

Leave me in peace!

Are you a Mary or a Martha? Do you find it easier to give or to receive? Do you show love by doing things for people, or by giving gifts or speaking kind words? 
These things fascinate me. We're all made differently and communicate differently. By nature I am busy. I like to do. I like to go, go, go. I like to help more than I like to be helped. It's who I am. That's can be both a good and a bad thing. My natural slant and leaning would be towards burn out, and so I'm slowly learning to "smell smoke" before I'm in flames! Sometimes it's too late though. Sometimes I'm all about the exhaling. The giving out. I forget to inhale. To recharge. To rest. 
I was in that place again last week and over and over again these few well known verses kept hitting me - either just coming to mind, or being put quite literally in front of me!

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul."
Psalm 23:1-3

As I think on what it might look like to actually live like this is actually true in my life, I'm challenged by how far from being a reality this often looks for me. To actually live by these words is pretty against the flow of how life looks for most...

"I shall not want" is easier said than done in a materialistic, comparison-filled world.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters" - again, whether literal or just a state of mind and being, easier said than done. We live in a busy, stress-filled world, often rushing from one thing to the next without coming up for air, never mind taking time to "lie down" or "be still". And even if not physically, it's hard enough to mentally be still.

"He restores my soul"... My soul needs restoring often. My attitude is off. I'm annoyed. Impatient. Undisciplined. Ungrateful. Complaining. The list is long. I'm thankful though that God obviously knows that we will get off track and that our souls will be in need of restoration. I'll take it!

So what would it look like to actually live this out? I think for me it means remembering the importance of taking time out to be quiet and be still. To physically rest and to also allow Him to "restore my soul". 

I think it looks like contentment. Rest. Peace. Fullness. Satisfaction. Remembering who God is and who we are not. We don't have to be all and do all. That's His job.

Listening to a sermon today I came across these verses, and to me, they're perspective-altering and peace-inducing.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds [a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy.]

"I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil - this is Gods gift to man."

"I know that whatever God does, it endures forever; nothing can be added to it nor anything taken from it. And God does it so that men will [reverently] fear Him, [revere and worship Him, knowing He is]. 
-Ecclesiastes 3:11,13&14 AMP&ESV

Vk
My posting is sporadic I know... I'm working on it ;) So, maybe you'd like to receive my posts by email?  You can subscribe here

No comments:

Post a Comment