Pages

Friday, 14 February 2014

Learned in the dark, remembered in the light

Today I'm challenged that the lessons we learn in the dark are to be remembered, acted out and spoken in the light too.  Specifically I've been thinking about this in the area of giving thanks.  There's days in my life where I've come to learn that the only way I'll get through them is by looking at and giving thanks for the blessings in amongst the trials and the struggles.  It's an aim of mine to make this a habit and train my mind to always go there - to giving thanks.  But, when days are "easier" I get caught off guard more easily too.  I don't think I need that focus and that's when trouble comes!  I fall into the trap of complaining and being negative and often only recognise the ugliness later on.  We seem to have that default, but I know that there's amazing strength in retraining that default to be thankfulness instead.  What a difference it makes to the way we speak to others, how we work, spend our time, our money and how we make decisions.

Practically, I'm still journalling my way to "one thousand gifts" Ann Voskamp style, but it's more than just that.  It's a daily choice and an attitude I have to remember to "put on".  

Sometimes it's not just for us either.  Things we need to remember learning might just be an encouragement to someone else going through "darkness" right now too.  


Matthew 10:27"What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops."



2 comments:

  1. Hey, hope you are doing well! I've been thinking of you and your little one lately and hoping everything is going well with that. I can't wait to see some pictures eventually! Thanks for this reminder! It is so true that in our brokenness God speaks such deep things to our heart, and then on the mountain we so quickly forget. Miss you!

    Jessamy
    www.thisleakingvessel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. vkacrossthewater11 April 2014 at 10:40

    Thanks Jessamy, it's good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well : ) Everything is fine here, we are getting excited to meet our little one soon! x

    ReplyDelete