Pages

Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Update: 33 items of clothing. 2 more months to go!

Well, this blog definitely keeps me accountable to the little challenges I've been setting myself recently.  Mainly my Project 333 challenge.  People keep asking me how it's going and so, I'm one month in and thought I'd post an update here too...

Firstly, if you missed my original post about Project 333, you can read it here.  But, basically, I challenged myself to live for 3 months with 33 items of clothing, including shoes and accessories.  I'm doing it because I want to learn to live simply and to take the focus off what's not important, and keep my eyes fixed on what is.  I believe our identity isn't in what's on the outside but what's on the inside.  (I just listened to a sermon on the life of David that talks more about finding our identity and security in Christ, not in looks, talents, career, health etc.  If you're interested you can listen to it here



I am not my clothing.  It's been a good challenge to take and to put less time and effort into thinking about what to wear.  I remind myself that people don't love me because of the clothes I wear... pretty sure my husband wouldn't even be able to tell you what I wore yesterday, and yet I know he loves me!

So, overall I'd say the challenge is going well.  I love having more space and less clutter, it's somehow stress-relieveing.  I also think that my radar has been finely tuned to notice more and more of God's desire for our lives in this area.  Taking clothes out of my wardrobe isn't a loss, it's a gain.  



On a practical note, I do struggle a little bit with 33 items only, (baring in mind that that also includes shoes, 2 coats, some jewellery and a handbag) because of the fact that I am like a child and can't seem to keep myself clean!!  Ah yes, my Dad always did tell me I needed a Pelican Bib to eat! (one of those with the tray to catch everything you drop!)  I'm afraid to say times haven't changed.  I also think that I should have planned out my items a bit more carefully, but I'm working with what I've got.

All that to say, I am enjoying learning to live more simply, in this area and in others.  It's a freeing feeling.  Have any of you set yourselves challenges in this area recently?  If you haven't I'd encourage you to join me.  It's not too late.  Maybe you just want to get rid of what you don't wear or doesn't fit anymore and see what a difference even that makes.  Maybe you want to go the whole hog and do Project 333.  Or, simplify in another area of life - hobbies, DVDs, make-up, computer games... Why not give away what you're not using and see what you think?

"For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience, that we behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God..." 2 Corinthians 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment